Süterrlin (was A New Contribution)

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 14:43:56 CDT

Peter Kirk a écrit :

> OK, maybe not such a good example. So let's go back to Suetterlin. I
> would expect a much higher rate of recognition among German users of
> normal Latin script than among American users of normal Latin script.
> So a test of recognition in America might seem to indicate that
> Suetterlin should be disunified from Latin, on the same grounds that
> you want to disunify Phoenician and Hebrew (plus that Suetterlin has
> different cursive joining behaviour, just as Syriac does from Hebrew),
> but a test in Germany might provide evidence against this disunification.

[PA] Why is it important to go to Germany or even that one should
understand the underlying text ? Germans understanding a text written in
Sütterlin may only prove that some have been exposed to other scripts
(Fraktur or Sütterlin for instance, if one says those aren't other
scripts we are just having a cicrular argument) or that they are
guessing and filling up the gaps (the very different letters) because
they are interpreting the text, not that the characters are recognizably
Latin characters.

P. A.