Re: TR35 (was: Standardize TimeZone ID

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 19:28:18 CDT

    If you look at LDML, you will see that it uses a narrow view of locale;
    essentially those elements that are language-specific + variations (like choice
    of phonebook vs dictionary collation for German). In particular, a locale does
    not include a time zone, nor does it include a currency; those are considered
    orthogonal attributes. What an LDML locale does include is the capacity to have
    *translated names* for time zones, and *translated names* for currencies.

    If someone wants to build a broader notion of locale on top of this they could
    do so, incorporating whatever other information is important for the given
    transactional processing, e.g., customer timezone, nearest branch office
    timezone, customer's preferred currencies, vendor's allowed currencies, seat
    assignment, dietary restrictions (kosher, atkins, no vegetables beginning with
    the letter C, ...), security status (low-, medium-, high-risk), religious
    preference (atheist vs theist), etc.

    Mark
    http://www.macchiato.com
    ► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄