Re: Phoenician

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 00:22:03 CDT

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > And these two cases are hardly a good advertisement for the expert's
    > reputation. The Coptic/Greek unification proved to be ill-advised and
    > is being undone. As for the unified W and Q, well, I guess that if the
    > Kurds and others who use these letters in Cyrillic knew how this
    > decision would mean that their alphabet will never be sorted correctly
    > (unless they get round to tailoring their collations), they would make
    > a strongly argued case for disunification. Well, perhaps the expert
    > can feel how much his fingers have been burned by over-unification and
    > so is now pressing for everything to be disunified.

    I can't believe I am reading this. Far more than anyone else, Michael
    has *always* supported the disunification of Coptic from Greek and of
    Kurdish Cyrillic Q and W from their Latin counterparts. They have been
    two of his signature causes through the years.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/