RE: TR35

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 13:51:28 CDT

    > > A "language" is an attribute of content, and a "language" ID
    > > is used for
    > > declaration of that attribute.
    > >
    > > A "locale" is an operational mode of software processes, and
    > > a "locale"
    > > ID is used in APIs to set or determine that mode.
    >
    > Oversimplified, I'm afraid. Consider machine translation software or
    > computer-aided translation tools (e.g. translation memories). In
    these:

    > A "language" is an operational mode of software processes, and
    > a "language" ID is used in APIs to set or determine that mode.

    The translation memory content has a "language" attribute, and it's
    appropriate to declare it using a "language" tag.

    Assuming the software is not dealing with things like number formats,
    the processing mode could be called a "language" mode or a "locale"
    mode. The software infrastructures provided in platforms and programming
    frameworks manage these modes using "locales", however, so I would say
    that these applications are using locales.

    Of course, a "language" tag in the translation memory can be used to set
    the processing mode ("locale") of the software. More often than not,
    though, I expect that what would be happening is that the "language"
    element of the locale is being determined, and then corresponding
    content is being retrieved from the translation memory.

    So, I disagree: I do not think it is oversimplified. What is too simple
    is the way that many people think and speak about it all.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division