RE: TR35

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 13:58:28 CDT

    > > Moreover, you would never label a document for a
    > > number format in order to determine how automated-formatting
    > > of numbers should be done on the receiving system.
    >
    > You would not label it to determine formatting on the receiving
    system, but
    > to determine interpretation (parsing) of formatted values in the
    received
    > data. You need to know what the convention is to interpret the number
    > 123.456 or the date 02/03/04.

    But as I pointed out earlier, you cannot know for certain how to
    interpret it unless you know how it was generated; and if it was entered
    manually by a human, you need to know what they were thinking. A locale
    ID cannot tell you that. A locale ID is useful only if the string that's
    received was generated automatically on the originating system (and you
    know that to be the case), but I'm guessing that most of the time when
    that actually happens, that string is going to be an isolated element
    within a data structure.

    It is the case that in a significant number of situations the language
    tag of content will include a region ID, and if I encounter a formatted
    number or date string in the content, I can use that to guess what the
    correct interpretation should be. But I'm not sure I'd want to build a
    system for processing business transactions on such assumptions.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division