Re: Archaic-Greek/Palaeo-Hebrew (was, interleaved ordering; was, Phoenician)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 14:06:06 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote at 7:01 PM on Thursday, May 13, 2004:

    >There might be time, but there is no reason to make such a proposal.
    >Archaic Greek is already handled by Greek. It even includes archaic
    >letters like QOPPA. There are some letters missing, like HETA, but
    >those can be added in due course.

    No, I mean glyphically-archaic Greek (just as you are focused on
    glyphically-archaic Northwest Semitic).

    If you believe that multi-dialectical Archaic Greek scripts are already
    sufficiently covered in plain text by modern Greek glyphs, with their
    adjuncts, then how in the world can you au contraire propose that multi-
    dialectical Northwest Semitic scripts, sans adjuncts, be de-unified? The
    issues are the same, only the differences are much greater in Greek
    script development. To pick one example, just ask any modern literate
    Greek to read Archaic Greek glyphs; you will get more numerous, and more
    deeply puzzled, responses than Shoulson did with modern literate Israelis
    trying to read Palaeo-Hebrew glyphs.

    This is inconsistency and, frankly, smacks of anti-Hellenism! [ ;-) Just
    kidding, of course, on that last remark.]

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project