RE: TR35

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 18:18:08 CDT

    At 11:21 AM 5/13/2004, Francois Yergeau wrote:
    >Peter Constable a écrit :
    > > A "language" is an attribute of content, and a "language" ID
    > > is used for
    > > declaration of that attribute.
    > >
    > > A "locale" is an operational mode of software processes, and
    > > a "locale"
    > > ID is used in APIs to set or determine that mode.
    >
    >Oversimplified, I'm afraid. Consider machine translation software or
    >computer-aided translation tools (e.g. translation memories). In these:
    >
    > A "language" is an operational mode of software processes, and
    > a "language" ID is used in APIs to set or determine that mode.

    I tend to support Peter's interpretation (see his rejoinder).

    Your examples both have obvious aspects of content. The translation memory
    may not be in any particular 'mode', beyond retrieving the data whose attribute
    is defined by the language tag of interest.

    This is very different from 'locale' which really does work like a mode,
    affecting many types of operations of an application.

    I think what you are after is the case where a set of rules (e.g. spelling
    rules) are identified by language. However, there seems to me still a
    difference,
    since the applying a spell checker etc. requires data that are in the
    designated
    language, whereas for locale-based formatting, the raw data is usually language
    independent.

    A./