Re: interleaved ordering (was RE: Phoenician)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 21:03:07 CDT

    jameskass@att.net wrote:

    >Dean A. Snyders asks,
    >

    >>Why make something we do all the time more difficult and non-standard,
    >>when what we do now works very well?
    >>

    >Please, one thing to remember about default collation is that
    >it's default. It's only there when no other instructions exist.

     From my understanding of the situation, it is generally best to expect
    that the default collation will provide a sort that is just barely
    tolerable. It's only there as a fallback, to prevent utter catastrophe;
    if you want sorting actually to work properly, you need a tailored one.
    Since the requirements for sorting are so varied, no default will
    satisfy everyone, so the default just has to do its best to avoid
    completely screwing up--barely.

    That right?

    ~mark