Re: TR35

From: Christopher Vance (vance@aurema.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 20:22:33 CDT

    On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 05:16:49PM -0700, Mike Ayers wrote:
    >The only correct English way I know to write dates is "March 20, 2003",

    No. Try "20 March 2003", if you want English (spoken as "the 20th of
    March 2003"). If you want to add superscript "th" after the "20", or
    a comma after the month, feel free. The language you're speaking of
    is "American", which is a distinct, non-normative, dialect. :-)

    >which I very rarely see. People from lots of different countries would
    >recognize "3/20/03". Therefore we have multiple ways to write dates for

    This is malformed, even if recognized. And of course "01/02/03" is
    totally ambiguous, having at least three different "normal" readings
    of the six available. As expressed on forms, and other official
    documents, dates in my country always have day before month before
    year. This is true whether the month is expressed as a number or as a
    name (possibly abbreviated).

    --
    Christopher Vance