Re: TR35

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 05:30:04 CDT

    On Thursday, May 13th, 2004 16:40, Peter Constable wrote:
    > Only that I don't think it's appropriate in general to tag
    > documents (by which I don't mean an accounting spreadsheet or an
    > order-entry record) for things like number formatting, and so such
    > info should not be included in attributes like xml:lang.

    I am sorry I had misunderstood the whole discussion then.

    To me, documents encompassed any style of writings (and was broader). For
    exemple, I believed that writing was invented 6 millenaries ago precisely
    for accounting and trading, *not* with the Hamurabi codex or the Egyptian
    hymns. But it appears I was wrong.

    > If something is going on internal to proprietary software, then there
    > are no rules.

    I also missed that the difference between language ids and locale ids only
    mattered when used in public documents in published standardized formats,
    and that private formats or any out-of-band tags, persistant or not, are
    irrelevant here.

    So please ignore my points.
    Of course when we consider only the legal texts where all months shall be in
    full letters, all quantities spelled twice, one with numbers and the other
    with letters, and the timezone rules explicitely deferred to some authority,
    you are very right. And then the example from Mark is just garbage, as many
    people would see it (replace "garbage" with "unreadable" if you are not
    happy with that word); so it is not a "document" any more, and this would be
    discarded as well.

    So I beg your pardon having abusing your time.

    Antoine