RE: [BULK] - RE: interleaved ordering (was RE: Phoenician)

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 13:13:46 CDT

            Ah! You embrace normalization at last!

    > >What gives you the slightest hope that *every* researcher's
    > >particular needs for searching and sorting can be baked into
    > >some *default* collation element weighting table? The whole point
    > >is to provide a mechanism for people to *tailor* it as they choose
    > >to meet *different* requirements.
    >
    > No, that is not the whole point - there is also the point
    > that 90% of our
    > work, which is done now by simple, default processes, would, all of a
    > sudden, require custom tailoring.

            So what you're telling us is that you're more text sorter than
    linguist, yes? Call me skeptical, but I really doubt that most linguists
    spend 90 percent of their time sorting text.

    > >> Why make something we do all the time more difficult and
    > non-standard,
    > >> when what we do now works very well?

            You are implying that what you do now is standardized. My
    impression so far is that it is not.

    > >Nobody plans to take away your rights and ability to continue
    > >doing what you now do, if it works very well for you. Please,
    > >sir, continue doing what you are doing with your current data. :-)
    >
    > It's incredible to me that you and others keep repeating this mantra,
    > ignoring the fact (repeated for the nth time) that we will
    > all be forced,
    > in our separate research projects, to deal with MULTIPLE,
    > COMPETING encodings.

            Wehave heard how many times that you already deal with multiple
    competing encodings - Unicode, web Hebrew, transliteration, etc. It is you
    who are ignoring the fact that killing the Phoenician proposal will not
    change that.

    /|/|ike