RE: [BULK] - RE: interleaved ordering (was RE: Phoenician)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 14:14:51 CDT

    Mike Ayers wrote at 11:13 AM on Friday, May 14, 2004:

    >> Dean Snyder:
    >> No, that is not the whole point - there is also the point
    >> that 90% of our
    >> work, which is done now by simple, default processes, would, all of a
    >> sudden, require custom tailoring.
    >
    > So what you're telling us is that you're more text sorter than
    >linguist, yes? Call me skeptical, but I really doubt that most linguists
    >spend 90 percent of their time sorting text.

    In case the context did not make this clear, I'll say it more explicitly
    - 90% of the work under discussion, programmatic collation, is done by
    default processes now.

    >> >Nobody plans to take away your rights and ability to continue
    >> >doing what you now do, if it works very well for you. Please,
    >> >sir, continue doing what you are doing with your current data. :-)
    >>
    >> It's incredible to me that you and others keep repeating this mantra,
    >> ignoring the fact (repeated for the nth time) that we will
    >> all be forced,
    >> in our separate research projects, to deal with MULTIPLE,
    >> COMPETING encodings.
    >
    > We have heard how many times that you already deal with multiple
    >competing encodings - Unicode, web Hebrew, transliteration, etc. It is you
    >who are ignoring the fact that killing the Phoenician proposal will not
    >change that.

    But its approval will only exacerbate the situation. Why add to the mess?

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project