Re: Vertical BIDI

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 14:59:24 CDT

    jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

    > A page that contained both Mongolian and vertical CJK might require
    > a vertical bidirectional algorithm, but AFAIK that question has not
    > yet arisen.

    CJK and Mongolian are both top-to-bottom scripts, so there is no bidi
    issue involved. You only get bidi problems if scripts on a single
    line go in opposite directions. In vertical text, this can happen
    with English and Chinese as well as Chinese and Arabic, and /there/'s
    the problem -- English and Chinese are both LTR scripts. Unicode BIDI
    does need to be extended to handle vertical directionality properly.

    See the first two sections of
       http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/vertical-bidi
    for a brief intro. I'll try to write up something more Unicode-oriented
    this week.

    No, I am not asking for vertical text controls; that's what CSS's
    'block-progression' property is for.

    ~fantasai

    --
    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact