Re: Multiple Directions (was: Re: Coptic/Greek (Re: Phoenician))

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 16:40:24 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >

    >>to put the various marks. The bidi algorithm is enough of a headache as
    >>it stands, just trying to deal with RTL and LTR scripts and their
    >>possible coexistence on a single line. Boustrophedon is far too complex
    >>for it.
    >>

    >May be not.

    [...example deleted...]

    I didn't say it couldn't possibly done. But it IS too complex a
    situation for raw Unicode to handle, in general. Considering how weird
    some results come out with the normal bidi algorithm as it is,
    boustrophedon not something that should be handled in plain text, and
    that's about all there is to it.

    ~mark