Re: Bidi Mirroring and Ogham (was: Multiple Directions)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 17:36:04 CDT

    At 16:56 -0400 2004-05-14, Ernest Cline wrote:

    >If you take an Ogham inscription done around the rim of a stone and
    >represent it in a LTR fashion, a logical way to do so would be to make
    >the outer edge the top edge and the inner edge the bottom edge.

    No. The left edge becomes the top and the right edge the bottom. But
    you have to know or guess where to start for a long inscription which
    goes up over and down the whole stone.

    >You have clearly indicated earlier that a simple reversal is not
    >acceptable. I presume from the above you don't think that mirroring
    >is acceptable

    I didn't say that. I guess if you had to do it you would mirror, just
    as you would in Latin.

    >(I am assuming that "Good gods." was not intended to mean
    >"Brilliant! That's what Unicode should be doing!") So for those who
    >find a need to represent Ogham in RTL, how would you propose that
    >it be done?

    What I meant was that I was amazed that you considered it even
    remotely possible that anyone would "find a need to represent Ogham
    in RTL".