a different script category label

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 07:49:19 CDT

    TUS4 describes "featural syllabary" as a script in which the symbols
    represent syllables, but (unlike non-featural syllabaries) the syllabic
    symbols "are not atomic; they can be built up out of parts that have a
    consistent relationship to the phonological parts of the syllable."

    I'm not sure how well this works, but at least the name can, I think, be
    improved upon: given that definition, perhaps "analytic syllabary" (as
    opposed to a "fusional" syllabary) would be a better label.

    Peter Constable