Re: ISO-15924 script nodes and UAX#24 script IDs

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 16:00:27 CDT

    At 01:11 PM 5/17/2004, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:
    >Michael Everson scripsit:
    >
    > > >Or shouldn't simply Unicode deprecate script IDs in favor of ISO-15924
    > > >codes?
    > >
    > > This doesn't make any sense.
    >
    >I believe the suggestion is to drop the long-form Unicode script codes
    >currently used for the Script property in favor of 15924 codes exclusively.

    Think of them as aliases.

    Unicode properties have short and long names, so that it's possible to
    communicate both accurately and understandably whenever there's no need
    to be terse, and tersely when there's no confusion and long names would be
    awkward.

    Character codes and character names are a bit of the same thing, really.

    I see no need to change that.

    A./