Re: ISO 15924 draft fixes

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 08:03:31 CDT

  • Next message: Ted Hopp: "Re: Phoenician (was, Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?; was, Archaic-Greek/Palaeo-Hebrew; was, interleaved ordering; was, Phoenician)"

    At 14:44 +0200 2004-05-20, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    >> >It can't be Unicode's UTC alone, as there are
    >> >already codes for bibliographic references that
    >> >are not (and will never) be encoded separately
    >> >in Unicode,so I suppose that there are librarian
    >> >or publishers members with which you have to
    >> >discuss, independantly of the work of Unicode,
    >> >which should only be the registrar for these
    >> >codes. May be there's still no formal procedure,
    > > >and for now the codes are maintainable without
    >> >lots of administration.
    >>
    >> Read the standard.
    >
    >Stop this easy argument (that I find offensive here), you could have
    >read it too before publishing tables with errors

    Errors are errors. The RA-JAC had an opportunity to review all the
    tables. Do not blame me alone. People err. People have kindly pointed
    out discrepancies.

    >(most probably because you forgot to consult the relevant sources to
    >check that your document were correct;

    Don't presume.

    >I note that you are taking some freedom with you own decisions,
    >regarding Coptic and the removal of Georgian (Asomtavruli) coded
    >"Geoa").

    I have (properly) proposed the addition of Coptic (and some other
    scripts) to the JAC. Asomtavruli was removed for good reasons. Live
    with it. It will be reinstated in due course.

    >I have read it and that's why I propose corrections...

    And that's why I am communicating with you, to get relevant feedback.
    The only delta we are going to deal with is the one between the
    plain-text documents; it is that which is going to be considered
    authoritative and which will be used (somehow) to generate the other
    tables.

    >Sorry if you think that these sentences are a bit aggressive but for
    >now the RA has made a bad start, and it's mainly because of your
    >work...

    Nonsense. I am not ashamed. It was a hell of a lot of work getting
    that standard together. It is, as you have pointed out, difficult to
    maintain different tables by hand.

    >If the publication was preliminary (waiting for comments) it should
    >have been documented as such on the Unicode web site (like for the
    >proposals in Unicode, which pass by a testbed before being listed as
    >"standard").

    It does NOT matter, Philippe. The corrections are being made.

    >For now I suggest an immediate warning in the ISO15924 web pages,
    >explicitly stating that these published tables were in beta, and
    >contain incoherences, which are being corrected.

    No. This is purely cosmetic. Let us move on.