Re: ISO 15924 "code"s and "ID"s

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 16:05:52 CDT

    From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    > Could someone please explain why the data tables for ISO 15924 list both
    > "codes" and "ID"s? ("ID"s are not discussed in the text of the
    > standard.)

    My opinion is that "Codes" where defined to be locale-neutral, and easily
    parsable in locale identifiers, with their fixed format.
    The "IDs" are inherited from Unicode UAX #24 and Unicode Properties... and
    needed for compatibility. If view IDs as aliases of "Codes", and no interest in
    adding new "IDs" for UAX #24 in the future, the absence of ID meaning that there
    will be no more alias defined for new scripts in Unicode.
    This means that future standardized scripts for Unicode (for example Phoenician
    if it is accepted), will use the now defined ISO-15924 "Phnx" code in Unicode
    character properties, without attempting to add a new "Phoenician" value which
    would have to be added in the ISO-15924 code list (I think it is useless to
    change something only to add aliases for new codes that Unicode has still not
    defined and used).
    Am I wrong?