Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 22:16:32 CDT

    A kind list member has advised privately that CAL does now use
    Unicode for Syriac text.

    I must not have been looking in the right places.

    From this page,
    http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/fonts/fontinfo.html

         "Most of our Aramaic text display is now done in Unicode,
         for which see our page hebunicodeinfo.html

         "However, m any of the bibliographic, dictionary, and
         newsletter reference pages displayed on this site still
         use a transliteration font ("CalSemitic") and a Jewish
         Aramaic font ("WebHebrew AD" or "CalWebHebrew"). ..."

    It's nice to see a transition to Unicode and it's comforting to
    see that Unicode Syriac is used rather than Unicode Hebrew
    to store and display Syriac text.

    Best regards,

    James Kass