Re: ISO 15924

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 12:03:52 CDT

    Mark Davis <mark dot davis at jtcsv dot com> wrote:

    > Use of &#x200B; is perfectly appropriate to allow line breaks.

    They show up as boxes on my system. Change fonts? Sure, I'd love to,
    but the stylesheet wants to display the page in Arial:

    BODY {
     margin: 0; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Geneva, sans-serif;
    BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffffe
    }

    Update to a newer version of Arial that supports U+200B? Yeah, I guess
    I can copy the font from another machine (Microsoft attorneys, you
    didn't hear that), but that only solves the problem for me, not for the
    next person with what they call a "downlevel" system.

    Tell IE to override the stylesheet's font setting. Yeah, if I can find
    that setting, but I don't want to do that for most pages -- just when I
    have a problem like this.

    I know this is just a display problem, but I find the zero-width spaces
    annoying in this context. If I were cutting and pasting the text from
    the page, I'd wonder what they were doing in the middle of an
    identifier.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/