Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 15:21:05 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote at 2:53 PM on Friday, May 21, 2004:

    >At 05:30 +0000 2004-05-21, James Kass wrote:
    >
    >>As a member of the Latin script user community, I'd not be threatened by
    >>a separate encoding for Fraktur.

    Would you recommend, for example, Google for ubiquitous searching for
    textually-intended, but mathematically-encoded, Fraktur alongside Roman
    German text?

    >>I have Fraktur books in my library.
    >>Whether I've got their titles stored in my database using Latin characters
    >>or abusing math variables is best left to speculation.
    >
    >We already have a Fraktur range. http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D400.pdf

    No, in a range of encoded symbols you have a "MATHEMATICAL FRAKTUR ..." range.

    You also have here a "MATHEMATICAL SCRIPT ..." range of characters that
    have their Latin textual analogs - why don't you, by analogy, encode the
    Fraktur textual characters? Only THAT, in our current context, would be
    "a Fraktur range". Answer that question and you will not be evading my
    point about the Fraktur/Phoenician analogy.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project