Re: ISO 15924 draft fixes

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 18:42:11 CDT

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > At 22:04 +0200 2004-05-21, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > >I have no référence in my French dictionnaries for "Gotique", but LOTS of
    > >references to "écriture gothique" ou "caractères gothiques" (including on the
    > >web and in calligraphy/typography books). I think it's a typo here... So this
    > >should be Nom_français="gothique".
    >
    > 1. I don't want to entertain this sort of thing
    > until the other problems are dealt with.
    >
    > 2. There is an online form to fill out if you want suchlike to be considered.

    May be that's a question that the ISO 15924 member representing TC46 and working
    for Encyclopedia Universalis (I can't remember his name) could reply. He's
    French too and he has access to large collections of documents. I don't have his
    encyclopedia, much too expensive for my budget, and as most French people, my
    references to French dictionnaries is limited to the common Petit Larousse and
    Petit Robert, and a much less expensive encyclopedia... These are now old
    editions... dated 1982 with much less concerns with imports of foreign words.

    OK it's not critical for now. The script names are described in Unicode, and in
    the first edition, they could be left informative but still descriptive enough
    to avoid ambiguities, rather than becoming normative. Only the codes and aliases
    will be normative for now.