Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@mockfont.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 23:02:32 CDT

    It's hard for me to believe that the world community of Semitic scholars
    is so small or monolithic that there aren't differences of opinion among
    them. I have been almost automatically suspicious of the posts by the
    Semiticists opposed to encoding Phoenician; after thirty-four years in
    academia (longer if I count that my father was a professor when I was a
    youth), I have yet to see a field in which there were not differences of
    opinion. Admittedly, all Semiticists might agree on the nature of
    Phoenician (just as all chemists accept the periodic table), but the
    fervor exhibited here makes me wonder what the issues *really* are. I am
    used to seeing such fervor among academics only when there has been some
    unstated agenda at work. And so I wonder, are we in this list reading
    only one side of an internal squabble among Semiticists?

    Mockingbird Font Works                  http://www.mockfont.com/