Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 06:25:38 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > Whether Semiticists want to transliterate everything into Hebrew or
    > Latin in their databases is their business. I fully support their
    > efforts.

    It might be better to use a more neutral term like transpose or
    transcode rather than transliterate since those who conceive
    Phoenician & Sq Hebrew to be a single script probably don't think of
    Phoenician > Sq Hebrew as transliteration.

    > What "problems" people like Dean imagine will occur if they are
    > googling for Phoenician documents, well, it's just not serious. Many
    > texts exist in Latin transliteration, and the problems of the
    > representation of ALEF and AYIN in Latin transliteration are worse
    > than any problem anyone would ever have with poor li'l Phoenician.

    Latin transliterations might also be stored using any one of the
    innumerable Latin encodings or codepages....

    - Chris