Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 08:09:51 CDT

    Peter Kirk wrote,

    (on the use of transliteration fonts)

    > OK. And you agree that this is a proper thing to do, and that it should
    > not be considered a "cavalierly" and "antiquarian" action, "a throwback
    > to the past century"?

    Well, I don't think it would be cavalier in any sense to use a
    transliteration font. Hardly antiquarian or throwback, either.

    But, I don't for a minute think it's the proper thing to do.
    I think it would be silly and churlish. How fortunate that
    those who wish to do so aren't bound by my opinions, eh?

    See, those favoring the Phoenician proposal (as I see it) are
    trying to serve everyone. It's a Universal character set, after
    all.

    Those opposed, who may think the supporters are silly and churlish
    (or worse), want to bind us by *their* opinions, don't they? I don't
    see this as "serving everybody", rather it strikes me as being
    basically self-serving.

    > >(English is slippery. Whether the use of "cavalierly" above
    > >should be interpreted as 'like a gentleman' or 'with arrogance'
    > >would be a matter of opinion.)
    >
    >Ah, well, Unicode has some great cavaliers!

    It takes all kinds, as they say!

    > Of course. And the point of Unicode is to move away from this situation
    > of multiple encodings for the same script, ...

    And we get back to the gist. Is it a separate script? Would it be
    fair to ask for documentation that the ancient Phoenicians who used
    the script considered it to be a variant of modern Hebrew? (No, it's
    not a fair question at all. But, I think it's an appropriate question.)

    Also, I'm having trouble understanding why Semitic scholars wouldn't
    relish the ability to display modern and palaeo-Hebrew side-by-side
    in the same plain text document. And, even if *all* Semitic scholars aren't
    jumping at the chance, why the heck would they want to prevent it?

    Best regards,

    James Kass