Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 10:26:48 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > Also, I'm having trouble understanding why Semitic scholars wouldn't
    > relish the ability to display modern and palaeo-Hebrew side-by-side
    > in the same plain text document.

    Because they want to search documents in the Hebrew *language* using Hebrew characters in
    search strings? Because they don't want to guess in what script variant an online corpus
    is encoded when doing searches? Because plain-text distinction of script variant text in
    the same language is just about the least important thing in their work? Because they have
    yet to see a good argument for why anyone would need to make such a distinction?

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com