Re: ISO 15924

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 08:48:03 CDT

    From: "Kent Karlsson" <kentk@cs.chalmers.se>
    > > Are there any further comments on the beta tables?
    >
    > "(alias for Hiragana + Katakana) (alias pour hiragana +
    > katakana)"

    For Unicode usage, this script code corresponds mostly to voicing marks that are
    used in both Hiragana and Katakana.
    I doubt it would be useful to qualify Japanese, because Japanese also uses Kanji
    (Han), even though one could make Japanese texts containing NO kanji (only
    hiragana/katakana transcripts).
    In fact, too many texts in Japanese also use Latin...

    It is in parentheses probably because it has probably little or no use for
    bibliographic reference under that restricted meaning (but the same would be
    true for Hiragana alone ot Katakana alone).
    I see this code mostly as a placeholder for Japanese with "ambiguous" mixed
    scripts.

    However there's already another code for ambiguous script which could be used in
    most bibliographic references, and the Hrtk code could be used if there's an
    alternative version where Kanji and Latin are transcripted to Hiragana and
    Katakana (for example Japanese learning books for children that still can't read
    many Kanjis).

    For now its use is precise only in Unicode character properties.