Re: Fraktur yet again (was: Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 08:58:18 CDT

    At 09:37 -0400 2004-05-24, Dean Snyder wrote:

    >Why would separately encoded Fraktur be troublesome?

    Blind as well as deaf, apparently.

    It's already encoded. It's already not troublesome.

    >Diascript is to script as dialect is to language - part of a continuum of
    >relatively minor variations.

    Making up a word and using it over and over again
    does not mean that the word has meaning or that
    other people (especially experts in writing
    systems) are going to believe that it is a word.

    In any case we're encoding the significant nodes
    in your *diascript. Similarly, Swedish, Bokmål,
    Nynorsk, and Danish are distinguished, as are the
    Romance languages.