MCW encoding of Hebrew (was RE: Response to Everson Ph and why Jun 7? fervor)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 16:08:00 CDT

    On Behalf

    > Of E. Keown

    > Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 12:38 PM

    > Leading computational Hebraists in the late 1980s

    > tried to persuade Unicode planners to include a

    > non-public but very widely used academic Biblical

    > Hebrew code, Michigan-Claremont-Westminster, in

    > Unicode....They were rebuffed (or, if you will,

    > perceived themselves to be rebuffed).

    I was not involved in those discussions so cannot comment on them. I
    just wish to point out that the MCW representation of Hebrew most
    certain *is* supported in Unicode: MCW uses ASCII Latin letters and
    punctuation characters to stand for Hebrew letters, vowel points and
    accents, and those exact same ASCII characters are encoded in Unicode.
    In fact, any existing MCW/ASCII-encoded file of Hebrew text is, in fact,
    also MCW/Unicode-encoded since the representation of Basic Latin
    characters at the character encoding form and character encoding scheme
    levels is exactly the same for ASCII as it is for Unicode:

    Hebrew MCS/ASCII MCS/Unicode

            literal code unit literal UTF-8

    alef ) 0x29 ) 0x29

    bet B 0x42 B 0x42

    gimel G 0x47 G 0x47

    .

    .

    .

    To encode any different from this in Unicode to support MCW texts would
    have been fairly bad news for the people that use it.

    Peter

    Peter Constable

    Microsoft Windows Division