Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 02:27:05 CDT

    "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org> writes:
    > Yeah, I've wondered about this. I've said it before: if you put my back
    > to the wall, I really don't think I could defend the disunification of
    > U+0041 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A and U+0410 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER A. But
    > that's why they don't put me on the UTC.

    The simplest answer is source seperation. Moreover, there have been at least
    a dozen Cyrillic character sets, and to the best of my knowledge, every one of
    them disunified Latin and Cyrillic, including the most commonly used ones, so
    the desires of the people who write Russian is clear. The decision on how to
    encode Cyrillic was made before Unicode was even a dream, and Unicode had no
    option but to follow.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm