Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 05:33:07 CDT

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    > Patrick Andries <Patrick dot Andries at xcential dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > Try with Sütterlin also unified within Latin ;-)
    >
    > That's handwriting, Patrick. Come on, you know better. I can't read my
    > doctor's handwriting either, but it's unified with Latin.

    I disagree, this is not only handwriting: Sütterlin exists also as a regular
    font. It's just that it uses a cursive (connected) style where letters are
    normally not separated by some blank. But I have seen Sütterlin printed with
    small blank separation between glyphs, to facilitate its reading. I'm quite sure
    you can find books or documents printed with such font style.

    Handwriting is characterized by irregular glyphs for the same letters, whose
    form highly depends on the surrounding context and the movement of hand on
    paper, or on the current mood of the writer, or on the type of pen or plum used
    to draw it, or on the type of surface and ink, or by the intended recipient of
    the written text.