Re: Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 05:30:53 CDT

    Ernest Cline wrote:
    > Dominoes:
    >
    > I'm not certain that a full 724 set of Dominoes is needed.
    > In plain text, the orientation of a domino would seem to
    > be a matter for the font to specify. The orientation
    > becomes a concern only when the dominoes are laid
    > out as played, and that cannot be represented in plain text.
    > If instead of providing all four orientations, no preferred
    > orientation or only a single orientation were specified,
    > then instead of 724 characters only 191 characters
    > would be required to represent the same variety of
    > dominoes as the proposal calls for.

    The examples in the proposal show that there can be a semantic
    distinction between the two horizontal orientations of the same bone.
    This suggests that if the orientations are encoding separately they
    should have the Bidi Mirroring property. Your suggestion of encoding the
    pips instead of the bones would eliminate that problem, of course.