Re: Fraktur yet again (was: Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 13:00:29 CDT

    You posit that there is a 22-letter Semitic
    script and that we should not encode any of its
    *diascripts.

    You suggest that *diascript is to script as dialect is to language.

    It is arguable that Swedish, Bokmål, Nynorsk, and
    Danish are dialects of the same mutually
    intelligible Scandinavian language. Yet they each
    have their own formal orthographies and are, in a
    sense "encoded".

    In the same way, even if Phoenician and Hebrew
    are *diascripts of an underlying 22-letter
    Semitic script, that doesn't mean that they
    should not be encoded.

    Pauses.

    Thinks.

    I think this argument is at an end. I am tired of
    false analogies and fake challenges.

    Separate encoding of Phoenician will not ruin
    Unicode forever for Semitic studies. Not one of
    the claims made by any of you to the contrary
    have any merit.