Re: Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 13:27:32 CDT

    Because the difference in orientation in Figure 1 has no semantic
    difference. The vertical orientation appears to have been chosen
    as a way of emphasizing the double bones in Figure 1, but the
    semantic content of the text remains the same if they were horizontal.
    Rotating an arrow does cause a semantic difference, even when the
    arrow is in plain text. Rotating a domino does not cause any
    difference in meaning when used in plain text. Selecting a standard
    orientation for a domino is not necessary for plain text, but it does
    make it easier to do fancy text or non-linear layout.