Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 09:04:23 CDT

    Peter Kirk a écrit :

    > If Fraktur and ordinary Latin are the same script, then it couldn't be
    > said that the Germans abandoned the Fraktur script after WWII. Yet,
    > that is what available references say did happen.

    Fraktur was actually abandonned during the Nazi era. In an ordinance
    dated 3/I/1941, the NSDAP Reichleiter, Martin Bormann, on order from
    Adolf Hitler, describes the « so-called Gothic script » as the «
    Schwabacher Jewish letters », Antiqua (Latin) letters were to be used
    from then on and the script was to be called the « normal script ». On
    the party congress in 1934 in Nuremberg, Hitler already criticized the
    « Gothic script ».

    http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/fraktur.htm (transcript of the said
    ordinance).

    P. A.