Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 02:22:00 CDT

    Peter Constable wrote:
    > So, the question is whether contemporaneous use within a single
    > community suggests that they were viewed as the same or distinct. Either
    > is possible. If they were considered "font" variants, then you might
    > expect to see different documents using one or the other, or see
    > different elements within a single document using one or the other. But
    > if you see documents containing equivalent content repeated in each,
    > then that might well suggest they were viewed as distinct.

    The examples brought by Dean Snyder from ancient Judah seem to be either
    different documents using one or the other (for a loose definition of
    "documents") or different elements (the Tetragrammaton, scribal
    redactions) within a single document using one or the other.

    The examples from modern coins vary. The 10-shekel at
    http://www.bankisrael.gov.il/catal/c41.gif has equivalent content
    repeated in each, but the 1 shekel at
    http://www.bankisrael.gov.il/catal/c39.gif does not.However, I
    discovered when using a shekel coin to do my own survey of the
    legibility of PH in modern Israel that most people simply assume that it
    does: almost everyone who thought that the PH was writing at all thought
    that it said "Shekel".

    So if Peter's premise is correct, and it seems reasonable to me, the
    limited evidence seems to suggest that Palaeo-Hebrew and Square Hebrew
    were viewed as font variants by Hebrew speakers 2,000 years ago, and as
    separate scripts by Hebrew speakers today.