Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 23:18:30 CDT

    Peter Kirk wrote at 2:51 PM on Wednesday, May 26, 2004:

    >On 26/05/2004 13:54, Michael Everson wrote:
    >> We have heard your arguments. We have weighed them. Unification has
    >> lost. I believe that it is a foregone conclusion that Phoenician will
    >> be sent for ballot, though of course the UTC and WG2 could decide
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> As far as I'm concerned, that's about the end of the discussion.
    >
    >Bold words, Michael. I'm sure Custer encouraged his troops, and tried to
    >frighten his enemies, with such assurances of victory before his last
    >stand. But let's see who really wins this one. :-)
    >
    >Before you get wiped out, you have one last chance to negotiate. Dean
    >and I are both looking for a compromise. Will you meet us half way, and
    >accept a mediating position like interleaved collation?
    >
    >Or will you insist on fighting this out for death or glory? :-)

    Let me make something clear to everyone. I have had no private
    discussions with Peter Kirk or anyone else about the topics under
    discussion in these threads. Actually, I do recall that Ken Whistler
    emailed me privately, cc'ing Michael Everson, and we have discussed some
    personal things. I can assure you there is no plotting happening there ;-)

    I definitely do not subscribe to Peter's characterization of what is
    going on here. I do not view this as a battle, and even if I did I most
    definitely would not gloat over any actual or perceived victories.

    I view this as an intellectual and engineering challenge that cries for a
    good solution. I am not "looking for a compromise"; I am aiming for
    realistic excellence, for a wise decision that is the best for all
    concerned, and hoping that such a decision is made - whatever it is.
    Right now, given what I know, I think unification is the lesser of two
    "evils". But, as I said when I emailed Ken recently and suggested that
    everybody should lighten up, "It's not the end of the world if Phoenician
    is not encoded; it's not the end of the world if it is."

    Though I agree with what Peter says sometimes, oftentimes I don't; I
    suspect he feels the same about me. But I have no idea what prompted
    these remarks of his here, and would like to disassociate myself from them.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project