Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 17:34:35 CDT

    Otto Stolz wrote at 5:13 PM on Thursday, May 27, 2004:

    >I think that the case of old Phoenician vs. Hebrew is different, as
    >there is no underlying common language and orthography...

    Phoenician, Old Hebrew, Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite are dialects of the
    same language, with the major orthographical difference being that
    Phoenician did not re-employ any of the consonants as vowel letters
    (although later Phoenician, Neo-Punic, did).

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project