Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 00:12:04 CDT

    Sorry, I promised I would stay out of this thread and all its spawn, but
    since this isn't about Hebrew vs. Phoenician OR Fraktur vs. Antiqua...

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > Well, I understand this as it is partly true of English as well. But
    > surely German newspapers, like English language ones, regularly use
    > upper case only in headlines? This implies that readers are expected
    > to read upper case MORE easily than lower case, at least for short
    > texts like headlines.

    I'm sure it's not true for all newspapers in all Latin-script cultures,
    but in most of the newspapers I see, the trend over the last 50 years
    has definitely been *away* from all-caps headlines. Most headlines tend
    to be in Title Caps or Sentence caps. (The front page of the New York
    Times, with its double- or triple-decked top-story headline in a
    relatively small point size, is often an exception.)

    As a former journalist and copy editor (in college) I tend to notice
    such things.

    OK, I'll zip it now.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California