Re: [BULK] - Re: Vertical BIDI

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 08:58:06 CDT

    Mark Davis scripsit:

    > > As things now stand, Ogham must be wrapped in RLO...PDF brackets when
    > > mixed with vertical Han or Mongolian.
    >
    > Yes, that's true -- and I don't see any reason why people can't live with
    > that... Those are the kinds of reasons we have the explicit controls.

    Because horizontal vs. vertical should be under the control of a higher-level
    protocol such as CSS. In order for this to work properly, CSS has to
    "reach down inside" the bidi algorithm and jimmy it; or, to put it
    another way, the character-level representation of Ogham has to have
    knowledge of what overall directionality it is going to be imbedded in.
    Both are Bad Things.

    --
    There are three kinds of people in the world:   John Cowan
    those who can count,                            http://www.reutershealth.com