Re: [BULK] - Re: Phoenician, Fraktur etc

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 15:03:10 CDT

    Mike Ayers wrote:

    > Ummm - let me get this right. Some people who are using these
    > characters tell us that they need to fundamentally distinguish them from
    > Hebrew characters, but that's not a good case.

    As Ken pointed out, what has been expressed is a *desire* to distinguish in plain text,
    i.e. some people *want* to do this. This keeps getting referred to, however, as a *need*.
    I've asked for clarification of this 'need' because I want to understand why someone would
    want this distinction. So far, all the responses have been hypothetical. I'd really like
    to see some real world situations arising from work that someone is doing with ancient
    semitic writing in which there is a need for plain-text distinction of two or more ancient
    semitic scripts.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com