Re: Game pieces proposal

From: Jörg Knappen (knappen@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 06:06:44 CDT

    Rethinking about chess:

    While I think, that the encoding of the chess pieces in UNicode is just
    right, I wonder about the other symbol used in chess notation, known as
    informant code system. Many of them may already be there, scattered in the
    mathematical and technical blocks. But some might be still absent, like
    WHITE STANDS SLIGHTLY BETTER (glyph looks like plus over equals sign).

    Wish, there were a stroke index to the mathematical symbols in UNicode.
    I did such a thing for the symbols in TeX, LaTeX and AMSLATeX, it is
    published in my book >>Schnell ans Ziel mit LaTeX2e<<,
    Oldenbourg-Verlag, 2nd extended and revised printing 2004.

    A reference for the Informant code system:

    ftp://ftp.ctan.de/tex-archive/fonts/chess/chess.zip (You need LaTeX to
    create the documentation, no ready ps or pdf file is included)

    --J"org Knappen