Re: Script variants and compatibility equivalence, was: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 12:48:41 CDT

    At 03:44 AM 6/7/2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >On 06/06/2004 14:38, Patrick Durusau wrote:
    >>The reason I pointed out that Semitic scholars had reached their view
    >>long prior to Unicode was to point out that they were not following the
    >>character/glyph model of the Unicode standard.
    >

    >I don't claim that they are following the Unicode model. But their insight
    >into character identity remains valid.

    No. If you need to decide what qualifies as a character for the purposes of
    encoding in the Unicode Standard you must base your decision on the terms
    of reference for the Unicode Standard,
    in other words that which the character glyph model attempts to capture.

    This reiterates something that we've seen repeatedly in this discussion.
    Common terms like 'character' and 'script' can be used with somewhat
    different meanings in different domains. There's nothing wrong with that,
    as long as one can carefully apply only the definitions proper to the
    domain at hand.

    To me, it seems that you continue to confuse these, and as long as you do,
    this discussion cannot bring any interesting results.

    A./