Orkhon (was: "Re: Yet more thrilling varia from the Library of Congress")

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 22:12:37 CDT

    On 2004.07.02, 01:50, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > Found a Chuvash alphabet apparently descended from Orkhon, if it's
    > not bogus.

    When I was in Chuvashia and shown some interest, I was told that the
    available corpus (rather scarce) does not "prove" that Chuvash runes
    were more than Orkhon with local (synchronic and diachronic) glyph
    variation.

    BTW, I see Orkhon has space ¿pre-reserved? in the SMP, four rows
    starting at U+10A80. Since "classical" Orkhon has 38 letters (trusting
    < http://www.omniglot.com/writing/orkhon.htm >), three would be
    enough. Four rows reserved means that either new material was found or
    that the proposal is still very far from completed and slack was given
    for any unsuspected need, I guess.

    Encoding needs funding!

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, who'd like to able to donate... | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |