RE: Modern Egyptian numbers? not Coptic....?

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 15:31:24 CDT

            Elaine Keown
            Tucson

    Hi,

    Thanks to Magda Danish and Mark Shoulson---
    the numbers I vaguely remember from Egypt in 1995 are
    indeed at U+0660 through U+0669.

    Apparently the history of numeration in Egypt is
    complicated.

    I'm looking at Egyptian and other numbers borrowed
    into Hebrew and Aramaic during various periods. There
    are at least 2 sets, none yet in Unicode.

    The possible 'hieratic' numbers in earlier Hebrew are
    glyphic variants (I guess) of the real Egyptian
    ones---but not even one glyph is the same.

    Confusing!--Elaine