Re: Arabic written in Syriac? Arabic written in Tifinagh?

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 16:21:39 CDT

             Elaine Keown
             Tucson

    Dear Patrick Andries and list:

    > >Arabic written in Syriac (by Syriac
    Christians).....
    > Well, the keyword « Garshuni » may help here.

    Aha!--thank you. Is there much Garshuni material,
    some especially notable?

    I understand that Aramaic (= Syriac in this case) is
    also written in Arabic....is there a word for that?
    I still have no reference for that script variant...

    Patrick Andries wrote:
    > Do you have any letters in mind ? Some such letters
    > could very well be missing

    I did have a short list of such Tifinagh characters--6
    or fewer----from 3 years ago.....but the U.S. Post
    Office lost two of my boxes this spring, and the
    Arabic- etc notes were in the box that's still
    heaven-knows-where. Kamal Mansour had a copy of my
    Arabic-script bibliography, but I am not sure that the
    Tifinagh material was on that.....

    I've been in too many libraries to be able to tell you
    if I found 'Extended Tifinagh' in Stanford's Green
    Library, at UnivCalif Richmond Depository, or at U
    Wisconsin-Madison....

    But Tifinagh is actually a really important
    script---it's used to write many major dialects,
    though maybe more by women....and it's caseless, so
    the collation string can have the variants inserted in
    the regular string of letters....

    Elaine