Re: Umlaut and Tréma, was: Variation selectors and vowel marks

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 06:24:26 CDT

    On 15/07/2004 10:56, Dominikus Scherkl (MGW) wrote:

    >>>Secondly, the dieresis is used to indicate that two vowels are
    >>>pronounced separately. I haven't seen a case where the vowels would
    >>>already be accented.
    >>>

    >>There are such cases
    >>

    >May be, but it doesn't matter - no german reader would ever take
    >any combination of diacritics for an umlaut + something else,
    >because in german such combinations simply doesn't exist.
    >Only the tréma alone could be confused.

    The German readers' instincts would probably be wrong when they came to
    Livonian, for http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/livonian.pdf seems to
    imply A and O with diaeresis and macron are modified forms of A with
    umlaut and O with umlaut. Livonian is of marginal importance, I agree,
    as according to http://www.eki.ee/books/redbook/livonians.shtml there
    were only 35 remaining speakers in 1990 (down to "at least four" in 1997
    accroding to
    http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/articles/livonian).html), and "The
    overall number of items printed in Livonian amounts only to a couple of
    dozen".

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)