Re[2]: Writing Tatar using the Latin script; new characters to encode?

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 10:22:03 CDT

    Hello,

    (delayed response)

    2004-05-12T19:37:51+03:00 Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote:

    > From: Alexander Savenkov <savenkov@xmlhack.ru>
    >>
    >> 2004-05-12T03:08:59+03:00 Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > According to <www.eki.ee>, there is a currently an effort to convert the
    >> > writing of Tatar from Cyrillic to Latin.
    >>
    >> > 1. Does somebody have more information about that effort?
    >>
    >> Perhaps it's their own effort.
    >>
    >> > Eki lists four characters as needed but missing in Unicode (see
    >> >
    >> <http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=tt+Tatar&script=latin
    >>
    >> > 2. The case pair for barred o is encoded (U+019F and U+0275), and it
    >> > seems that their confusion comes from less-than-perfect but annotated
    >> > name for U+019F, and from the usage remark "African". Can we
    >> > authoritatively tell them that those two characters are the ones they
    >> > want? Can we add a "Tatar" usage remark to both?
    >>
    >> Is there a need for this? You don't want to tell everyone on the net
    >> about his or her wrong assumptions. There's one sentence in the page
    >> you mentioned that gives a good description of this resource:
    >>
    >> "The conversion from Cyrillic to Latin script is planned within years
    >> 2001-2011."
    >>
    >> This is false.
    >>
    >> > 3. The case pair n with descender is definitely not encoded, and from my
    >> > memory of the discussion of ghe with descender, we would want to encode
    >> > them as separate characters (rather than with combining descenders on
    >> > "n"). Is anybody working on that proposal?
    >>
    >> There's no Latin Tatar script. It's the law. Full stop.
    >>
    >> It's the Institute of Estonian language. I hope they know more about
    >> Estonian than about other languages and Unicode.

    > They are numerous sites on the web about the change from Cyrillic to
    > Latin for Tatar that is planned for completion by 2011 by the Republic
    > of Tatarstan (a part of the Russian Federation).

    Ernest, I fail to see how the fact that there are numerous sites about
    Latin for Tatar proves it really exists. There are numerous sites
    about Babylon 5 and Frankenstein. What are your thoughts about these?

    > There is legal wrangling
    > over wether Tatarstan can make the change back to Latin script official
    > for Tatar as it is used there, but no final decision has been reached and
    > there is probably at least several more years of legal shenanigans
    > before it is reached.

    You're wrong and the facts you give here are outdated. Legal wrangling
    is over. See links below (in Russian).

    > As for the merits of the proposed change back to Latin, I think
    > it is silly for Tatarstan to make the change and it is silly for the
    > Russian Federation to oppose it.

    Your clever thoughts are really helpful. I wonder what Russians and
    Tatars would do without them.

    Links in Russian:
    http://www.tatar.ru/?DNSID=0627096ec5c075004c0d219207f349de&node_id=978
    http://www.tatar.ru/00001296_c.html