Re: Ogham and Initialisms

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 06:47:06 CDT

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:24:17 +0200, fantasai wrote:

    > If a Latin initialism appears in a bottom-to-top text
    > and the characters are oriented upright rather than
    > rotated, should the initialism read up or down?
    >
    > U A
    > S or S ?
    > A U

    In traditional monumental inscriptions which have both Ogham text and Latin or
    Runic text, the Ogham text is always separate from the Latin/Runic text, and so
    the issue of how to combine a vertical script (Ogham) with a horizontal script
    (Latin/Runic) never arises.

    If you're writing modern Ogham on paper or computer screen you would be best
    advised to write it LTR, and then you won't have any problems with embedding
    Latin text in it. If you insist on writing it bottom-to-top, then my guess would
    be that embedded "USA" should read top-to-bottom as that's the preferred
    vertical directionality of Latin text ... but does it really matter how it's
    rendered as it should be obvious from context. Anyway, the whole issue seems a
    little too hypothetical, even for me.

    Andrew